All roads lead to …………….. digestion. Feeling tired? Not able to lose weight no matter what you do? Feel bloated, feel gassy? Suffer from headaches or do you feel sluggish? If you are not eliminating every day and if your bowel movements are loose or at the other end of the spectrum are a strain, then this is truly something that should not be ignored. You can do something about it and that is the good news! Come and see us… a conversation about your digestive health could be quite life-changing.
Below is one of my favourite products and I hope at the very least that this article inspires you to take charge of your health. Please enjoy this article by Dr. Hilary…
The colon has two primary functions. First, to help the body eliminate toxins and waste products. Second, the colon works to reabsorb water from the stool.
We should aim to have at least one easy-to-pass, fully evacuated bowel movement per day. If you are having infrequent, difficult-to-pass, or incompletely evacuated bowel movements, then you’re likely experiencing constipation. The causes of constipation are many, with dehydration, inflammation in the gut, unhealthy gut flora, stress, low-fibre diet, and a slow metabolism being common factors1.
The wave-like contractions and relaxations of muscles that move stool through the bowel is called peristalsis, and diminished peristaltic function can lead to constipation1. When stool sits in the colon for a long period of time, it re-absorbs too much water, making the stool dry, hard, and difficult to pass.
The concern with constipation is that it prevents the proper elimination of harmful waste products from the body. This causes autointoxication, where we reabsorb metabolites from the colon and it leads to a build-up of harmful toxins throughout the body. Constipation and autointoxication lead to symptoms of fatigue, hormonal issues, brain fog, low mood, acne, pain and bloating2.
Although we should strive to identify and fix the cause(s) of constipation, we may occasionally need additional support to keep our bowels moving regularly. GO-LAX gently and effectively relieves occasional constipation by stimulating the natural peristaltic action of the colon and drawing water into the bowel to soften stool. GO-LAX does not contain purgative herbs like senna and cascara sagrada, which can cause cramping, pain, and are more likely to cause laxative dependence.
Dr. Hilary’s Lifestyle Tips For Constipation
- Drink more water: There is no exact science to the amount of water each person needs but aim for at least 2 liters of water daily, and more if you’re sweating, in hot weather, or with exercise10. A good indication that you’re well-hydrated is if your urine is a light straw colour throughout the day. Try setting reminders on your phone or computer to remind you to drink water or herbal tea.
- Increase fibre: Our daily requirement for fibre is 25g for women and 38g for men10. High fibre foods include chia, flax, whole grains like brown rice, quinoa and oats, legumes like beans and chickpeas, and vegetables like avocado, broccoli, beets, artichokes, and dark leafy greens.
- Physical activity: Exercise helps to prevent and relieve constipation because it stimulates the natural contractions of the intestines and decreases the amount of water that is reabsorbed from the stool into the body, making stools softer and easier to pass10. Even gentle exercise, such as walking for 20 minutes daily, can improve digestion.
- Manage stress: When we’re stressed, we’re in a “fight or flight” state, meaning our body shifts blood flow to vital organs like the heart, lungs, and large muscles and this can contribute to indigestion and constipation. When we’re relaxed, we’re in a “rest and digest” state, meaning our body sends blood flow to the digestive system. Meditation, deep breathing, and prioritizing sleep are effective ways to manage stress and improve digestion.
- Treat the cause: A slow metabolism caused by an underactive thyroid can cause constipation, so it is important to screen the thyroid through bloodwork if you’re experiencing frequent constipation. Eating inflammatory foods like gluten and dairy, or having an unhealthy gut flora, can also contribute to constipation in some people.
Healthy bowel movements are the body’s way of eliminating toxins and waste. If we have infrequent, difficult to pass or incomplete bowel movements, we are not adequately detoxifying the body. This can lead to fatigue, hormonal issues, acne, pain, bloating and inflammation.
It is important to identify and work toward improving the cause of constipation through ensuring proper hydration, fibre intake, physical activity, stress management, and addressing any underlying functional or metabolic issues. Even when we’re doing all the right things, we sometimes need extra support to have healthy, fully evacuated daily bowel movements.
GO-LAX provides a gentle, effective solution for occasional constipation. GO-LAX works to hydrate and soften the stool, promote peristalsis, soothe the gut lining and improve the microbiome. GO-LAX promotes healthy bowel function, without cramping or pain, to support your body’s natural ability to eliminate waste and maintain good overall health.
Healthy Digestion Starts with a Healthy Colon
Are you eliminating your bowels once a day? If not, GO-LAX! This formula gently and effectively relieves occasional constipation by stimulating the natural peristaltic action of the colon and drawing water into the bowel to soften stool. GO-LAX does not contain purgative herbs like senna and cascara sagrada, which can cause cramping, pain, and are more likely to cause laxative dependence.
For best results take with:
We hope that you will come and visit us at either Alive Health Centre, Morning Sun or Supplements Plus near you! Do not sit in silence; there are so many things you can do to better your health! Get excited and take charge of your health. Letâ€™s work together, along with your doctor to ensure you are doing all you can to lead a happy and healthy life. Our team looks forward to helping you with whatever your health concerns are.
Lastly, as a small Canadian business, online sales have helped us keep going. Did you know that a percentage of our online sales go towards the Food banks of greater Vancouver? You are not only supporting us, but we are also working together to help support those in need.
While we practice social distancing we hope you will visit us online at:
If you have any questions email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org