Zinc Citrate – Stay strong with Alive Vitamins Zinc Citrate 50mg. Hope you enjoy this in-depth article about one of our NEW additions to the Alive Vitamins family.
- Helps support the immune system,
- Increases energy levels and metabolism,
- Maintains healthy bones, hair, skin and nails,
- Helps improve skin conditions such as eczema and acne,
- Suitable for Vegetarians/Vegans.
Zinc is a trace mineral that is found in virtually every cell of the body and is a component in over 300 enzymes. Zinc is especially important in proper immune function, support for healthy cell growth and healthy skin, prostate, and reproductive health as well as our sense of smell, taste, and vision. Zinc citrate is an excellent form of zinc as citrates are extremely well-absorbed and well-tolerated by the body. It is important to note that while zinc has been particularly highlighted as the mineral to help keep the immune system strong, it is especially important for skin conditions. It is often seen in formulas for “Clearing Skin”. Studies show a deficiency in zinc contributes to increase of acne.
The Role of Zinc
Zinc is a highly active mineral in human metabolism. In fact, zinc is the second-most-abundant trace mineral in your body — after iron — and is present in every cell. Zinc is necessary for the activity of over 300 enzymes that aid in metabolism, digestion, nerve function, and many other processes. It supports immunity, skin health, hormones, and reproductive health. It is widely used for prostate problems and zinc is necessary for our sense of smell, taste, and vision. Health problems associated with zinc depletion include impaired immune function, prostate enlargement, male infertility, psychiatric illnesses (including depression), insomnia, poor skin health, and macular degeneration. What’s more, body growth and development rely on zinc because of its role in cell growth and division.
Marginal zinc deficiency may cause increased susceptibility to infection, poor wound healing, poor sense of taste or smell, and minor skin disorders including acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
Do not underestimate the power of a simple mineral like zinc as it is a tried a true nutria that is essential for cell growth and division, immune function, skin health, enzyme reactions, DNA synthesis and protein production.
Extra, extra, read all about it!
Different forms of zinc and what they are used for:
- Zinc citrate: Studies show that zinc citrate is as well-absorbed as zinc gluconate. Alive Vitamins uses Zinc Citrate and each capsule contains 50mg. (It is 50mg because the body is not able to absorb all 50mg). Thus, in order to achieve the elemental dosage of approximately 30mg, Zinc in the Citrate form comes in 50mg per capsule. For adults, the recommended daily dosage is typically 15–30 mg of elemental zinc.
- Zinc gluconate: As one of the most common over-the-counter forms of zinc, zinc gluconate is often used in cold remedies, such as lozenges and nasal sprays.
- Zinc acetate: Like zinc gluconate, zinc acetate is often added to cold lozenges to reduce symptoms and speed up the rate of recovery.
- Zinc sulfate: In addition to helping prevent zinc deficiency, zinc sulfate has been shown to reduce the severity of acne.
- Zinc orotate: This form is bound to orotic acid and one of the most common types of zinc supplements on the market, but it is not as absorbable as the citrate form.
“Just when you “zinc” you thought you were done – but wait there is more!”
Research from the US National Library of Medicine
Studies supporting zinc and improved immune function:
- One review of seven studies showed that zinc lozenges containing 80-92 mg of zinc may reduce common cold duration by up to 33%
- Zinc may also act as an antioxidant, helping reduce inflammation and protecting against chronic conditions, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes
Studies supporting zinc and improved blood sugar control:
- Some research suggests that zinc may help keep blood sugar levels steady and improve your body’s sensitivity to insulin.
- One review reported that zinc supplements were effective at enhancing both short-term and long-term blood sugar control in people with diabetes
Studies supporting zinc and improved cardiovascular health:
- A review of 24 studies found that zinc supplements helped decrease levels of total and “bad” LDL cholesterol, as well as blood triglycerides, which could potentially aid in preventing heart disease
- Additionally, one study in 40 young women showed that higher intakes of zinc were linked to lower levels of systolic blood pressure (the top number of a reading)
Recommended Program – For Best Results, We Recommend A Program:
- For those concerned about eye health, take with Alive Bilberry and Alive Lutein.
- For cardiovascular health, specific to cholesterol and inflammation take with Alive Ultra Concentrate Omega 3 and Alive Vitamins Hawthorn Extract. If you want to prevent the hardening of the arteries and plaque buildup we recommend Strauss Heart Drops. For blood pressure Bell Blood Pressure Formula works very well.
- Adding Vitamin C is never a bad idea, probiotics and Alive Royal Jelly are a few great ways to cover, immune, stress, digestion and more.
- For further immune protection – come on in to a location near you or call us toll free 1 866 499 9546 as we can have an in-depth conversation with the customer.
- We proudly source the best ingredients available,
- Made in Canada,
- Vegan and vegetarian friendly whenever possible,
- Trusted since 1983,
- We stand behind our label and accept returns,
- All SKUS have an NPN,
- What is on the label is on the bottle,
- No unnecessary, binder or fillers used,
- Purity and potency guaranteed.
Lastly, as a small Canadian business, online sales have helped us keep going. Did you know that a percentage of our online sales go towards the Food banks of greater Vancouver? You are not only supporting us, but we are also working together to help support those in need.
While we practice social distancing we hope you will visit us online at:
Do not sit in silence; there are so many things you can do to better your health! Get excited and take charge of your health. Let’s work together, along with your doctor/health care professional to ensure you are doing all you can to lead a happy and healthy life. Our team looks forward to helping you with whatever your health concerns are.